Sunday, January 20, 2013

So Long Fabian

(Book Cover)


New Mexico lost one of it's political giants today as Fabian Chavez died.

He was 88.

He tried to teach me about the New Mexico legislative process when I was assigned to cover the legislature, politics and elections for KOAT-TV way back in the 1970's.  Fabian was hired to help bolster our coverage - now he'd be a political analyst.

I learned a lot.

Here is a picture I took of Fabian in Mexico City about 1981 or so.
Fabian and NMSU President Gerald Thomas, on the left, are listening to Mexican Attorney General Oscar Flores Sanchez.   Also in the meeting, but not pictured, was Governor Bruce King. 
Flores was a former Governor of the Mexican state of Chihuahua.

I was covering the Goodwill Visit of the New Mexico Amigos.


And here is Fabian peeking over the shoulder of State Senator Jack Eastham during KOAT-TV election coverage.  Fabian was our Democratic Party Expert.  Eastham was the GOP representative.  That's Dick Knipfing on the right and me in the middle.

A Gentle Man  -   Rest In Peace


No comments: