Monday, February 4, 2013

Paul Harvey RAMing it home.

I always admired Paul Harvey for his ability to perform on the radio.

I remember meeting him in Taos one day.  When he traveled, he'd tell a story about what he'd seen along the way.  When he got back to Chicago to do his daily radio show, after his visit to Taos, he talked of the Taos Pueblo Indians wrapped in warm blankets..."except these are JC Penney blankets" he said.

And then he was in Albuquerque for a Chamber of Commerce speech (which he got paid well for, I'm sure). While he was here he watched a smaller version of the balloon fiesta at the state fairgrounds.  I then had the responsibility of getting him to the airport.

But first, he wanted to stop at Pioneer Wear and get a western jacket that he could wear to the next days Super Bowl party in Chicago.  He wanted something that looked like a cowboy.

He purchased some $400 fringly leather type jacket and I got him on to his private jet and away he went.

I recall this story, only because I was impressed with the way RAM Trucks used a Paul Harvey speech in last night's Super Bowl TV commercial.

Here it is

His politics aside, he was a very effective communicator on the radio.



No comments: