Friday, February 8, 2019

Antelope Wells - Border Crossing in Isolation


Having traveled much of New Mexico in my many years on this planet, there remained the mystery of the boot heel.

That’s the little square part of New Mexico that borders the Republic of Mexico and the State of Arizona.

Antelope Wells – a notorious place these days because of border crossings, deaths and border wall discussions.

I need not say much about Antelope Wells – there’s not much there.  A US/Mexico border crossing that’s open from 10 to 4 – and not much else.

My friends, you need not believe my words, but do believe a picture.

What I have here is a picture I took of New Mexico 81, the 45 mile long road between Hachita and Antelope Wells. And this is pretty much the view for that entire stretch of road.

There are no gas stations, no water stops, no Circle K, nothing but open spaces and a ribbon of highway.

Occasionally there is someone riding a bike or on a hike.  

Antelope Wells is considered a southern terminus of the 3,100 mile long Continental Divide Trail that starts in Canada.


And, now, it is notorious for being a border crossing.

Who've ever thunk that?

No comments: