Wednesday, April 1, 2020

This 'n That


Wikipedia: April Fools' Day or April Fool's Day (sometimes called All Fools' Day) is an annual custom on April 1 consisting of practical jokes and hoaxes.

In 2020, we don’t need any hoaxes (we have enough already) and, it is my suspicion that not many folks are ready for practical jokes.

As they say down on the oil patch, we’re into some serious bidness right now with the Coronavirus creeping around, and the Saudi’s and Russian’s playing with the price of oil.

However, I’ve been assured by someone that this too will pass.

Which brings me to a comment on the world “that”.

In a journalism class at The University of New Mexico, my instructor/professor instructed and professed that “that” is the most overused word in the English language – and aspiring journalists should remember that.

His name was Tony Hillerman – a newspaper editor back in those days, and later on an acclaimed author.

I’ve told many folks the story I just told you.

Notice, I didn’t say “that” story I just told you!

I did learn something!

It’s Springtime in the Rockies.

Enjoy a day without too much wind and those pesky dust devils.

Carry on with whatever it is that you’re doing!

No comments: