Tuesday, June 9, 2015

No Bull Bob Turner Dies

I was saddened to learn that an Albuquerque icon has died.

Bob Turner had one of the most successful car dealerships in our city for many years.  Bob was a salesman.   His big move came when he took over a fledgling Frontier Ford - re-named it Bob Turner's Ford Country - and then went on to build a new dealership headquarters.

Bob was famous (or infamous) because of his TV commercials.  Thanks to the work of Roger Dibble, who for so many years helped put them together.  There was "no bull" in those commercials - a tag line used for many years.  

(I lifted this photo from a Google search)

Turner was a good citizen of this community.  A Lobo fan thru-and-thru.  I think he even contributed substantial funds to help develop the team golf training facility at UNM.  The last time I saw Bob a few years ago was at the Mountain West Basketball tournament in Las Vegas - we were there watching the Lobos. He also had a home there.

Occasionally I'd see Bob at the now defunct Charlie's Back Door. He would always ask how things were in Taos (my hometown).

Oh, and I had another connection to Bob Turner.  The home we presently reside in, I've been told, was built and first occupied by the same Bob Turner.  I mentioned that to him one time, and in his loveable Texas accent he recalled..."Oh yeah, that house on Peeda Rose."   It's actually Piedra Rosa.

Thanks Bob for all you did.

No Bull!


No comments: