Thursday, September 11, 2014

New Mexico State Fair Throwback Thursday

It's New Mexico State Fairtime ... the trees are turning ... this morning there was a feeling of fall on the way ... and folks from around the state are headed for the fairgrounds in Albuquerque.

For a number of years my journalistic "beat" was covering the state fair.  It seems that things were bigger then, but things were also simpler.

For instance, I came across a photograph of my interviewing a rooster.  This rooster was a participant in a crowing contest.  Losers headed for the cooking pot. Winners headed for a life of fame and fortune.  I think it was about 1975 or so.

The hat was compliments of a local merchant.  I had to have a cowboy hat if I was covering the fair.

The photographer, Tom McCullough, would become a physician.



That camera, incidentally, was feeding a video tape recorder that weighed about 25 pounds.




3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ah, the best-dressed political reporter in the market snagging the exclusive. State Fair always was good duty. You ate well, had a live audience for everything you shot, and if you were lucky could avoid the newsroom all day.

New Mexican said...

First time I will miss the fair (Expo NM) in many a year. Hated to do it, but unable to avoid the situation that cause be to miss it this year. Back to it in 2015.

New Mexican said...

You know another funny thing about me and the New Mexico State Fair?

I am originally from Rowe, New Mexico 29 miles from Santa Fe and I have never been to the Santa Fe Fiestas. I do not really know why, just never got the urge to go. But the State Fair, I made time to go.