Friday, September 25, 2015

Bob Stover, RIP

Saddened to learn of the passing of Bob Stover, former Albuquerque Police Chief, former Bernalillo County Sheriff, and one helluva guy.

Bob Stover and I were related, somewhere down the family tree.  My great grandmother was a Stover - and it has been told that Bobby Stover, the tough talking cop, would, on occasion, sneak a chocolate candy to her.

When Stover was Chief of APD, I was a reporter.  It meant no special access, or accomodation.

Case in point:

My personal car was the recipient (I guess I was, not the car) of a parking ticket - having spent too much time at a meter without contributing to the coffers.

In those days, getting a parking ticket, often times meant heading to see Municipal Judge Harry Robins, who would make time to "help" the media, and quickly dismiss the parking ticket.

On this day, I chose to go see Chief Stover, parking citation in hand.

Upon my request to the Chief to "take care" of the ticket, Bobby reached into his pocket and pulled out $3 and inserted it into the envelope.

The Chief "took care" of my ticket - and I never went back to ask a similar favor.

Good times, Chief.

No comments: