Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Me & Deacon Jones





The Washington Post report this morning:

Hall of Fame defensive end David “Deacon” Jones died at his home in Southern California from natural causes at the age of 74, the Washington Redskins announced early Tuesday morning.

Nicknamed the “Secretary of Defense” because of his specialty for sacking quarterbacks, Jones was considered by many as one of the greatest defensive players in NFL history.



He made a lasting impression on me during a special event in the Albuquerque area. 
It was the mid-1970's.

Here's a photo of Deacon Jones and the 4 members of his golf team at a tournament at the Panorama Golf & Country Club.  It later became Rio Rancho Country Club.

I case you can't tell, I was suffering from the worst hangover of my life.

The night before there was lots of free flowing booze, good conversation and fun.  If memory serves, we were playing some semblance of touch football in the courtyard of the Rio Rancho Inn at something like 3 in the morning. 
   
Just before and just after this photo was taken, I headed for the on-site ambulance for a few deep draws on the oxygen tank. 

Playing the 9th hole, Deacon came over to me and asked, "Are you gonna make it?"

I did and he did - a vivid memory of the good ol' days. 


No comments: