Monday, April 20, 2015

Siberian Fire Sky

For the last couple or three days I was in the Seattle area - the Pacific Northwest - and I recalled a song that Perry Como (yes I'm that old) once sang --   The Bluest Skies I've Ever Seen are in Seattle --


The sky around Seattle hasn't been blue the past few days  ...   and it has nothing to do with volcanic activity...

Wildfires a continent away...in Siberia

Here's a link to the story


WOW!

I recall once covering a story when Mt. Ranier or Mt. Hood blew her stack and we got some drifting volcanic dust in these parts...  this is different.

How do you add up all that stuff in the air to the pollution that belches from factory furnaces.  I'm guessing the fires add a heckuva lot - maybe as much as China's factories - but the fires don't burn all the time, every day of the year.

Still....

3 comments:

New Mexican said...

It was Mt. St. Helens and the date was may 18, 1980. I was east of the event in the northern part of the Idaho Panhandle on the N. Fork of the Clearwater river that day. It was funny when it got dark and the ducks were walking down the road as they could not fly so they could not find the river and they lands anywhere they could.

Rodger Beimer said...

Yep...I remember seeing dust on a car parked by the Frontier Restaurant.

Rodger Beimer said...

Yep...I remember seeing dust on a car parked by the Frontier Restaurant.